The Q Collective is very excited announce to its next original short play festival, “Transluminate.”
Plays to be considered will be written by transgender, agender, non-binary, genderfluid, and genderqueer playwrights and feature ransgender, agender, non-binary, genderfluid, and genderqueer characters. All characters do not have to be transgender, agender, non-binary, genderfluid, and genderqueer.
Submission and Selection Period:
Plays may be submitted via email only from November 1, 2018, through December 15, 2018, with festival play selection completed by January 5, 2019. Playwrights selected will be notified by January 15, 2019.
“Transluminate” will be held February 21 – 23, 2019, at The Chapel, in the Wydown-Skinker neighborhood. Playwrights will be invited to the first read through of their play and a performance and are encouraged to invite friends as well as share any interviews and/or publicity materials via their social channels.
Selected playwrights will receive a $50 stipend for their work and two tickets to a performance of their choice. They will be allowed to attend the read-through of their play but may only attend other rehearsals at the specific request of the director. The producer or director may contact the playwright for purposes of clarification, publicity, and other artistic, technical or festival marketing and promotion needs.
Video and publishing:
The Q Collective will live-stream and record one performance of “Transluminate.” Video will subsequently be used solely for advertisement purposes. Plays chosen will also be published in a hard-copy-only book for sale at all future Q Collective events.
- Scripts must be typewritten using Samuel French guidelines (http://www.playwrightslocal.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Samuel-French-Formatting-Guide.pdf).
- Scripts must not exceed fifteen minutes in length. We will NOT accept plays with longer run times. Please time your plays prior to submission. A general page estimate for a 15-minute play includes approximately 14-20 pages, although this is clearly not an exact science.
- Due to the limitations of our host venue’s theater space (proscenium with no apron, approximately 16 feet wide and 8 feet deep), please limit your script to 1-4 actors. Roles may be doubled within our acting pool.
- Please keep prop and set demands to an absolute minimum.
- A fundamental foundational principle of The Q Collective is to be open and welcoming to all gender identities, races, ethnicities, sexualities, ages, abilities, etc. “Transluminate” will reflect these values and we encourage writers to embrace them.
- Submitted scripts should submitted as a PDF and bear only the title of the play and NOT the name, address or other author-identifying information. To ensure blind review, please include a separate cover page PDF file with the title of the play, summary of the play, name of the author, address, phone number, email, and university/college, theatre, or state affiliation, as applicable.
- Playwrights may submit multiple works; however, no more than two (2) plays per playwright will be produced in the 2019 festival.
- Previously produced but unpublished works and well-developed works in progress are welcome.
Submit plays and cover pages by email attachment in PDF format to: email@example.com with the subject TRANSLUMINATE PLAY SUBMISSION. Please direct any questions to Sean Michael at the same email address.