Submissions for the 2020 Coming Out Play Festival are open!
The Q Collective is seeking submissions for its upcoming original short play festival THE COMING OUT PLAY FESTIVAL.
Submission and Selection Period:
Plays for THE COMING OUT PLAY FESTIVAL may be submitted via Google form only from March 15 through May 31, 2020, with festival play selection completed by August 1, 2020. Playwrights selected will be notified by August 1.
Plays submitted should be based on a fairy tale, myth, legend, or classic literature. Please make sure works chosen are in the public domain. The playwright may additionally choose to pair a recent headline (two-years-old or less) with their selection.
Performances of THE COMING OUT PLAY FESTIVAL will take place Oct. 15-25, Thursday through Saturday at 7:30 PM and Saturday through Sunday at 4:00 PM. All performances will be held at The Chapel.
Playwrights will be invited to the first read through of their play and a performance and are encouraged to invite friends as well as share any interviews and/or publicity materials via their social channels.
Selected playwrights will receive a $50 stipend for their work and two tickets to a performance of their choice. Playwrights may attend any rehearsals but are asked to please arrange ahead of time with the director of their piece. The producer or director may contact the playwright for purposes of clarification, publicity, and other artistic, technical or festival marketing and promotion needs.
- Scripts must be typewritten using Samuel French guidelines (http://www.playwrightslocal.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Samuel-French-Formatting-Guide.pdf).
- Scripts must not exceed fifteen minutes in length. We will NOT accept plays with longer run times. Please time your plays prior to submission. A general page estimate for a 15-minute play includes approximately 14-20 pages, although this is clearly not an exact science.
- Due to the limitations of our host venue’s theater space (proscenium with apron; stage proper is 12’x28′ and apron is 5’x22′), please limit your script to 1-6 actors. Roles may be doubled within our acting pool.
- Please keep prop and set demands to an absolute minimum.
- A fundamental foundational principle of The Q Collective is to be open and welcoming to all gender identities, races, ethnicities, sexualities, ages, abilities, etc. Our play festivals reflect these values and we encourage writers to embrace them.
- Scripts shall be submitted in PDF format. Submitted scripts should bear only the title of the play. They shall NOT include a synopsis, author’s note, nor the name, address or other author-identifying information.
- Playwrights may submit multiple works; however, no more than two (2) plays per playwright will be produced in the festivals.
- Previously produced but unpublished works and well-developed works in progress are welcome; plays previously produced by The Q Collective are not eligible.
To submit a play, please fill out this form and upload your blind copy here: https://forms.gle/8RKsysMqCjrn6J4b8.